Sunday 12 May 2013

Happy Mother's Day!

Today was just like any usual Sunday where everyone is lazing around in the house. My sis and my brother-in-law were taiwan-bound since yesterday for a final holiday before my sis ends her maternity leave thus we had a family dinner last weekend to 'celebrate' in advance. Inverted commas cause there wasn't anything out of the ordinary that day; no cake, nothing fanciful. We had dinner at a zi char stall near our house; the zi char stall where we go to on typical weekend dinners. Maybe the only thing that made it seem like an occasion was that we ordered black pepper crabs. This is the simple Tan family. (:


As a traditional family, none of us is comfortable with showing love for each other openly. We would not shout 'happy mother's day!' and run to give our mum a tight embrace. Neither would we buy her flowers and attach a hand-written lovey dovey card with it. Instead, we would express our love in the form of gifts, meal treats and service in our everyday lives. For instance, if my mum was craving for a certain food, I would go and get it for her. Or if she needs me to do anything for her, I will try my best to help her with it. These may seem insignificant but I think every filial act, big or small, brings warmth to my mum's heart and the thought of this makes me happy and want to do it.


My mum is a woman with very traditional and rigid (imo) thinking. She felt that whatever she told her children to do, her children should simply accept and follow. And that there should be no room for argument. Sadly, there are one too many things I could not agree with her. Being a straightforward person, my mouth tends to act quicker than my mind. Everytime I talk back, a verbal battle unavoidably ensues. We said hurtful words, we had cold wars. But at the end of the day, either one of us will not be able to endure the silent treatment any longer and thus try her best to break the ice. This is simply because we know that we are bonded by blood, the attachment is always there. We still wants to chit-chat together, laugh together, share life with each other. Even though we share a mother-daughter relationship for nearly 23 years, I'm still learning the art of communicating with my mum. I am not saying that she's hard to handle. Just like chatting with a friend who hold very different views from you, as a talker, you will try to put across your opinions with tact while as a listener, you will put yourself in their shoes and understand their perspectives. And frankly speaking, I'm not good with these at all. I'm still trying my best to be the good daughter she yearns for.

To mum:
Though I may not be the ideal child in your eyes, the fault lies in you cause you're the one who made me! HAHAHAHH kidding I know my temper is bad. I know my attitude is atrocious, at times. But do remember that I still love you no matter what and I will take care of you for long long time. xoxo


0 comments:

Post a Comment

© A good life., AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena